LIVE NOW - NO OPPORTUNITIES WASTED!!! LIVE in the NOW!

Every day more and more children in South Africa are born with Autism.



Cullen was born 15 September 2006...



Children with Autism dont show emotion, dont make eye contact, dont play, dont interact, often have problems with Speech and fine motor control...



Cullen continues to challenge himself and conquer all of this...



The Challenge - SPEECH and FINE MOTOR CO-ORDINATION, MORE PLAY, MORE INTERACTION...







Follow our journey, our challenge, our triumph, our lives...



Monday 12 September 2011

NEVER been so HAPPPPPPY to have him have a bowel movement

WOW!!
You know the things we get happy about these days...are sooo different from what I would have been happy about a few years ago...

Bowel Movements are ONE of THOSE things.
Yes when you are preggers - ok maybe only me (maybe some of you too) PRAYED for your tummy to go and for the nasty CONSTIPATION to NOT be an issue...because it is PAINFUL!! ITS HORRID!!

Well...
Last week was a "PLEASE let his bowel movement come" week!
Horsie had fecal impaction - and if that medical term is not an indication of just how sore that might be...
His facial expressions and AGGRESSION (because he does not know how to say "MOMMY my tummy aches and I have so much pain PLEASE HELP") might be an indication.

Horsie is in NO WAY Aggressive UNLESS he is in SEVERE PAIN!

It all began last Monday morning on our way to Wiggles in the car. He began to BASH his head (like those You tube videos you see with kids who are severly mentally challenged do)
LET ME TELL YOU
It scared the LIVING    $*&*(&%$   OUT OF ME!!!!
I have never had that with my boy - so severe and then hitting himself on his head too!!
Moaning crying...
ME ALMOST LOOSING IT!!!
It freaked me out - I though oh my word...
and this after a few days prior almost scratching his pops' face off..

I thought NO...

WE ARE GOING 15 YEARS backwards...
Then I began to think of other times when he bit me or was slightly aggressive - it was due to pain or SENSORY OVERLOAD.
Look I am under no illusions that sometimes - my life - my feelings and anxieties rub off on my son, my family, and so I started scrutinising why my boy was SOOOOOO AGGRESSIVE and the head bashing thing...

Was it :
1. Due to concert practise - a lot of sensory overload, change of routine (BIG NO NO for kids with Autism)
2. Due to me having a major life change- in my resignation from work - CHANGE IN routine (BIG NO NO AGAIN!)
3. Me worrying about all of this - feeling stressed, anxiety etc etc etc (BIG NO NO FOR A BOY WHO FEELS ALL OF THIS WITH ME -IF NOT MORE IN EXAGGERATED VOLUMES)
4. GI (Gastro-intestinal) PAIN!!!! Severe GI PAIN!!!!
5. ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Well I went with all of the above! Got our wonderful Dr Louise from Cape Town to email a x-ray form, we did a abdominal x-ray and low and behold - huge fecal impaction (Where pooh is literally stuck in his colon causing severe pain - if your child has any dietary restrictions it could be a problem- duh we have many many restrictions.)

So we started with pegicol, after 8 sachets nothing (NOW THAT I THOUGHT WAS A LOT)- I also asked his sweet principal to lessen the sensory overload with the concert, which she did with absolute pleasure and love, and that helped!
I am trying...I repeat trying...to be better at the anxiety thing too...(Easier said than adjusted).

Its 1 week later, almost R1300-00 spent, after excluding sinus pain, x-rays, meds, doctors bills et etc etc
and my HORSIE  is smiling again. He had 5 LARGE BOWEL MOVEMENTS...and we were so HAPPY!

YES...why?

He is himself again...
PLEASE LORD let this be a good good week! A good bowel week, a good sleep week, a good play week, a good time week,
Its his 5th BIRTHDAY THURSDAY...
We do not want any fecal anythings...
ONLY SMILES< LAUGHS< LOVE<HAPPINESS<GRATEFUNESS
AND LOTS OF KISSES

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers